One of the best things about the chilly temperatures is that I get the opportunity to warm up with homemade soups. I love letting this split pea soup simmer in my crock pot on a lazy Sunday afternoon. This recipe makes enough for four servings, which I packed up to take for a week’s worth of lunches. Love it with a bread (or gluten-free) roll.
Crock Pot Split Pea Soup Recipe (makes 4 bowls)
- 1.5 cups of dried split peas (rinsed)
- 2 medium carrots (rinsed, peeled and diced)
- 1/2 white onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 4.25 cups of hot water
- Layer the ingredients in the crock pot according to the order listed above
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 8-9 hours
- Turn off heat when peas have cooked to your preference and remove bay leaf
- Optional–gently mash with a fork to reach your preferred consistency
- Serve and Enjoy!
What are your favorite soups to cuddle up with this winter?