This cold and snow cycle seems to have no end in sight! Today’s recipe is a great meal to warm you and your home–after you’ve turned off the oven, leaving the door open for a while spreads some extra warmth around. It serves 6-8.
- 14 lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/8 crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium zucchinis, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow squash, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 15-ounce container ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil or spray 13-inch by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil then cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. After cooking, lay noodles on a sheet of aluminum foil.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan with sides over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally until translucent; 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, zucchini, squash and a pinch of salt then cook, stirring occasionally until soft, for about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes. Stir, then bring to a low simmer. Simmer until liquid has thickened and reduced by half; 5 to 8 minutes. Add basil then season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Add ricotta cheese, eggs and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a medium bowl then stir until well combined.
- Spoon just enough vegetable mixture into the baking dish to lightly cover bottom (about 1 cup). Arrange four noodles lengthwise and side by side to cover the bottom.
- Spread about half of the ricotta cheese (or cottage cheese ) mixture over the noodles. Sprinkle with a third of the Parmesan cheese and a third of the mozzarella cheese. Then, top with about a third of the vegetable mixture. Add another layer of four noodles then repeat with remaining cheese and vegetables.
- Finish with a final layer of noodles, vegetables, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and bake 20 minutes, uncover then bake 15 minutes until cheese is crusty around the edges. To make cheese golden brown on top, slide under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
Please be sure to stand 15 minutes after cooking before enjoying!